The Green Energy Tech Center
Modeling & Simulation of Carbon Recycling Technology through Conversion
of CO2 into Useful Multi- Purpose fuel:
The project aims at development of a pilot plant for CO2 capture
and production of useful multipurpose fuel like Hydrogen, Methane and Algae growth
for Bio diesel production in the Energy park of RGPV.
1. Sequester CO2 and convert the same into useful multipurpose fuels.
2. Use CO2 to grow micro algae to produce Bio-diesel and Methane Gas.
3. To establish a Pilot Plant for CO2 sequestration and conversion in to multipurpose
4. To develop mathematical & chemical models for CO2 sequestration, Hydro Gasifier
& Algae pond systems.
FOR THIS PURPOSE FOLLOWING FOUR SYSTEMS SHALL BE INCORPORATED:
CO2 sequestration system Metallic solvent for CO2 capture Catalytic Flash Reduction
of CO2 using charcoal from Gasifier.
Production of Hydrogen from CO.
Production of Methane using Hydro Gasification of Biomass process.
Pilot study to capture CO2 for algae production and extraction of Biodiesel
The Rajiv Gandhi Technological University is having 10 kW Biomass Gasifier
and Bio-Diesel Reactor (100 LPD) in its Energy Park. Using Exhaust from Gasifier
and Char coal, a pilot plant for capture of CO2 based on Chemical solvent and for
converting the same into useful fuel like Hydrogen for Fuel Cell application and
Methane is being developed. Additionally, a Bio-fuel Incubator is being developed
for producing variety of Algae culture for CO2 capture. An Incubation Unit on fuel
Cell is also being developed by RGTU in which Hydrogen from the pilot plant will
be the prime input.
Overall Espected Outcome
Development of a working plant to Capture CO2, the prime GHG and generate
non conventional Energy sources viz. H2, CH4, Bio-diesel and thus provide formidable
support to National Mission on GHG reduction for combating Global warming and consequent
Solar Wind Hybrid System
A 1.6 kW Solar Wind Hybrid System has been designed and erected at Rajiv Gandhi
Technological University Bhopal with a Solar-Wind ratio of 3: 13 i.e.300Watt Solar
& 1300 Watt Wind. This optimized configuration has been chosen through WaSP
software. A Biomass Gasifier is being integrated into the system for a reliable
configuration of Hybrid system of the three Renewable sources. Following and equipments
were used for setting up of Solar wind hybrid system:.
• 1300 Watt Wing Electric Generator
• 150 AH Battery Bank
• 300 Watt Solar Panel
• Inverter Unit
• Street lighting through CFLs
• Instrumentations- Anemometer, and Radiation Pyranometer
BIODIESEL PROJECT- A CONTRIBUTION TO NATIONAL BIODIESEL MISSION
India's energy independence is on the top of National agenda of policy
planners and each one of us in this university is supporting this mission. A positive
step in this direction has already been initiated in the form of National Biodiesel
Mission by Government of India. RGPV is firmly committed to provide support to this
mission of high national importance. The RGPV Biodiesel park is conceived from the
view point of accelerating the energy farming and cultivating the knowledge and
know-how for producing World class Quality Biodiesel. The RGPV Biodiesel Park is
a joint venture of School of Biotechnology, School of Energy & Environment and
strongly supported by Centre of Green Technologies at RGPV. The park shall also
receive support from University of Houston with whom we have signed an MoU for collaborating
• Biodiesel Park will be an impact project to accelerate the Energy farming
for Rural Entrepreneurship.
• Serve as a demonstration project enhancing the knowledge and expertise of farmers
& small entrepreneurs
• Promote decentralized power generation in Madhya Pradesh
• To supply part of the diesel fuel that is consumed within the country.
• Strengthen the government commitment towards green and clean environment.
• To supply raw materials for enterprises which produce feed concentrates for cattle,
pigs and poultry
• Transformation of the marginal and idle lands to productive areas
• Protect and regenerate the natural resources such as water and soil
• A research & training tool for Engineers and Technicians who will be working
in the Biodiesel industry
• To create temporary and permanent jobs for the unemployed youth.
R & D WORKS IN BIODIESEL PROJECT BEING CARRIED OUT AT RGPV
• Jatropha curcas cultivation in the premises of RGPV
• Screening of Jatropha varieties for better oil yield
• Use of plant tissue culture for the improvement of existing varieties of Jatropha
• Alternate production methodologies using biocatalyst
• Optimizing the design of diesel engine for better fuel efficiency
• Efficient utilization of By-products thereby reducing the cost of biodiesel
The energy farming may be done in an area of 8 acres of land in the Energy
park and in the outskirts of the Campus. The plantation of promising varity of Jatropha
curcus is being done to the tune of 6000 plants.